In 1850 the family’s interests were established as a firm, which by 1925 concentrated on shipping its own wines rather than supplying them to the other shippers. At 600 to 750 metres above sea level, at Quinta Grande a new vineyard was planted in January 1995. Its 10 hectares (25 acres) constitute the largest single vineyard on the Island and it is also the first on Madeira to be mechanised. Henriques & Henriques is now the largest independent producer and shipper of Madeira Wines and the only Madeira House who owns vineyards. The company relies on the most recent technical innovations, keeping however the unbroken family tradition that has lasted for 500 years in the production of the finest Madeira wines.
Quite a rich tawny colour, with a hint of green. Oxidised nose of bruised apple and pear, with more nuttiness. On the palate that rich, rounded, with a voluptuous quality. There is weight and texture here, with a soft, chewy nut and toffee mid-palate, then a structural acidity that finishes with a burnt orange and lemony tang.