The name Montana was first used by Yugoslavian immigrant Ivan Yukich for the wine he made in the Waitakere Ranges west of Auckland, where he settled on a small block of land in Scenic Drive in 1934. Because of the elevation of the site, the vineyard was given the name “Montana”, which means mountain. The Yukiches were wholly absorbed in wine production, with Ivan’s sons, Mate and Frank, taking active roles in the business. Mate Yukich assumed the role of viticulturist, while Frank became winemaker and salesman. The first wines were sold in 1944, with more grapes planted with each successive year. By 1960, ten hectares were planted. In 1961 the sons set up their own company, Montana Wines Limited. Over the next twenty five years it grew to be the largest in New Zealand.
Delicate pink in colour, the wine has a fresh fruit and yeasty nose with a smooth and full palate. This more full-bodied style of Lindauer is created with the addition of Pinotage base wines in the cuvée.